Using Essential Oils for Nail Care
You can use essential oils for nail care to condition or strengthen your nails and to fight fungus. Enjoy these aromatherapy nail care recipes.
Nail Conditioning Soak
Use this soak for dry or torn cuticles.
- 3 drops lavender
- 2 drops bay laurel
- 2 drops sandalwood
- 1 tablespoon jojoba or neem oil
Blend oils. Soak nails in the mixture for 10 minutes. Optionally, buff nails after the soak to improve circulation and create a healthy shine.
Essential Oils for Nail Fungus
To make an antifungal nail oil, blend these ingredients:
- 5 drops tea tree or geranium essential oil
- 1 drop cinnamon bark essential oil
- 1 tablespoon neem oil or calendula-infused oil
Apply this blend around and under nails 2 or 3 times a day.
Note: You can also use 6 drops of tea tree oil in the carrier oil. Most people can also apply undiluted tea tree oil to their nails.
Source: Aromatherapy: A Complete Guide to the Healing Art
Nail Growth Oil
Combine the following ingredients in a small bottle:
- 10 drops myrrh essential oil
- 10 drops lemon essential oil
- 10 drops frankincense essential oil
- 1 teaspoon to 1 tablespoon carrier oil, depending on how strong you want the blend
Rub a little into bare nails twice a day.
- 1 tablespoon grapeseed oil
- 3 tablespoons jojoba oil
- 2 tablespoons beeswax
- 2 tablespoons cocoa butter
- 4 drops carrot seed essential oil
- 4 drops rose essential oil
- 4 drops rosemary essential oil
- 4 drops geranium essential oil
- 4 drops sandalwood essential oil
- Combine grapeseed oil, jojoba oil, beeswax, and cocoa butter in a double boiler.
- Heat on low setting, stirring until beeswax and cocoa butter melt.
- Remove the double boiler from the heat.
- Stir in the essential oils.
- Let the mixture cool slightly.
- Pour the mixture into a dark glass jar.
To use: Using a cotton swab, remove a small amount of nail butter from the jar. Use the swab to apply the butter to your nails, and then use your fingers to massage the butter into the nails.
Source: The Very Essence
Nail Strengthening Blend
To strengthen nails and help prevent splitting or flaking, use this blend of essential oils for nail care:
- Five 100 mg lecithin capsules
- 1 tablespoon castor oil
- 1 tablespoon wheatgerm oil
- 3 drops lemon essential oil
- 2 drops rosemary essential oil
- Puncture the lecithin capusules and squeeze contents into a bowl.
- Add the other oils and stir.
- Pour mixture into a small, dark glass jar.
To use: Massage a few drops into clean nails twice a day. Then, to add shine and improve circulation, buff nails.
Source: Massage & Aromatherapy: Simple Techniques to Use at Home
Alsessential oil recipes for hands
Click here for where to buy essential oils.
Photo Credit: Pix by Marti/PhotoXpress
Return to Top.
Return from Essential Oils for Nail Care to Aromatherapy Bodycare.