Using Essential Oils for Dandruff
The best essential oils for dandruff treatment depend on the underlying cause of your dandruff:
- If the cause of your dandruff is fungus, tea tree oil (Melaleuca alternifolia) is probably your best choice. You can also try rosemary.
- If your scalp is oily with dandruff, cedarwood, juniper, or patchouli may help.
- If you have a dry, flaky scalp, try chamomile, myrrh, or sandalwood.
An easy way to use these essential oils to treat dandruff is to add a few drops of the chosen oil to your shampoo (preferably unscented, non-detergent shampoo). Adding 8 to 12 drops to an 8-ounce bottle is a good place to start, though you can use more, if you don't find it too strong.
Also, a good anti-dandruff, conditioning blend to add to your 8-ounce bottle of shampoo is 8 drops lavender and 4 drops tea tree.
Reference: Aromatherapy: A Complete Guide to the Healing Art
Aromatherapy Hair Recipes for Dandruff
- 5 drops lemon essential oil
- 2 drops lavender essential oil
- 1 drop rosemary essential oil
- 2 drops peppermint essential oil
- 10 drops carrier oil (jojoba is particularly good for hair)
- Blend the oils.
- Thoroughly massage one teaspoon into your scalp for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Leave on for 15 minutes.
- Shampoo as usual, adding 2 to 4 drops of a chosen essential oil to one teaspoon of shampoo.
Source: Essential Oils Desk Reference
Post-Shampoo Dandruff Hair Rinse
- 4 drops rosemary essential oil
- 4 drops lavender essential oil
- 2 drops tea tree essential oil
- 1/3 cup vinegar
- 2/3 cup water
Mix ingredients and shake well. Use it to rinse your hair after shampooing.
Note: The vinegar smell quickly goes away.
Source: Aromatherapy for Dummies
Click here for where to buy essential oils.
Photo Credit: 123RF Stock Photo
Return from Essential Oils for Dandruff to Essential Oils for Hair.
Return to homepage.